Friday, August 29, 2008

Lost in translation

At the moment I'm reading a thesis by Cecilia Hultberg, The Printed Score as a Mediator of Musical Meaning - Approaches to Music Notation in Western Tonal Tradition.

It is very interesting to read because it deals with problems I am likely to run into when answering my previously posed question regarding musical notation in Vietnam.

Among many other things it states that notation, like writing in general, is a socio-cultural phenomenon, and that musical meaning is always experienced in the specific cultural context , in which people participate i.e. in order to fully understand the socio-cultural phenomenon, you would have to understand the specific cultural context, in which it applies.

With this in mind I wonder if the music notation of the western tonal tradition is limited to western music, or can it successfully be applied to other musical cultures as well?

My response would be that some things will be lost in translation... which things?

1 comment:

Jon Magnusson said...

I think you should upload some vietnamese tunes to www.folkwiki.se. That would be interesting :-)